So it’s been a LONG time since I did any work on my modular synth project but I’m finally making progress again. I had fully designed up a panel in illustrator to get laser cut or CNC’d and printed but I’ve decided to go a little more lofi and upcyclce a dead G5 case I got from work. Half the reason I went DIY in the first place was to get cool toys for less money (ok so for the most part it doesn’t actually work like that) so re-using something and drilling the panel by hand means that I can keep moving with the project without having to spend any more on it.
It came out pretty good, the holes are a bit crooked in places despite my best efforts so mark and stamp them straight. I think next time I’ll bother to go visit someone with a drill press, the hand held is just way to unpredictable. But overall I’m happy, it’s starting to look like what I had in mind when I started.
I watched some very nerdy but quite helpful tutorials from Ray Wilson of musicfromouterspace.com as this was my first time metal working.
Progress is being made. Hopefully soon I’ll actually get it to make noise =)